Recreation & Parks - Museum Division
Welcome to the Museum Division of St. Mary's County!
We are the stewards of each of the sites listed below, each with a unique history that is woven into the historical and cultural fabric of St. Mary's, the Mother County of Maryland.
- St. Clement's Island - Site of the arrival of the first Maryland colonists in 1634.
- St. Clements Island Museum - A distinct destination interpreting Maryland's earliest history with the colonial arrival at St. Clement's Island in 1634 bringing with them the concepts of religious toleration and separation of church and state.
- Piney Point Lighthouse - Constructed in 1836, it is one of only four in existence today on the Potomac River.
- Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park - A facility that offers interpretation of the historic Piney Point Lighthouse, the U-1105 Black Panther Shipwreck Dive Preserve, Potomac River maritime history, and more.
- Drayden African American Schoolhouse - c. 1890 - This recently preserved schoolhouse stands as a testament to the importance of education in the African American Community and their struggles in the days of segregation.
We invite you to explore our sites and exciting opportunities by clicking on the links at the bottom. Please visit our sites and gift shops, enjoy our programs and special events, and discover our extensive research opportunities.
Little Red School House
Finer Points Newsletter
Recreation & Parks
Guided Tours & Student Tours
Water Taxi Tours
Links of Interest