Recreation & Parks - Museum Division
Group, Bus & Student Tours
The Museum Division offers guided group tours at each of the following sites:
- St. Clement’s Island Museum (Christina Barbour: 301-769-2222)
- Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park (Kenneth Burke: 301-994-1471)
- Drayden African-American Schoolhouse (Kenneth Burke: 301-994-1471)
- The Old Jail Museum (Karen Stone: 240-925-0293)
St. Clement's Island Museum
Guided Tour Fees:
- Guided adult museum tours of 20 or more people ($2.00 per person)
- Guided adult museum tours of less than 20 people ($3.00 per person)
- Guided student tours of 20 or more people ($1.00 per person)
- Guided student tours of less than 20 people ($1.50 per person)
St. Clement's Island Museum and St. Clement's Island State Park
Student and Youth Groups ($7 per person with a $140 minimum payment)
This rate includes 3 hours of educational programs in the museum and on St. Clement's Island, along with water taxi transportation to and from the island. Teachers may rent the boat for additional hours at $50 per extra hour. Teachers are free. Only one chaperone for every ten students will be admitted for free. Additional chaperones will be charged the full program fee. Student charters are subsidized by St. Mary’s County Government.
Adult Groups ($10.00 per person with a $200.00 minimum payment)
This rate includes 2 hours of time on St. Clement's Island, along with water taxi transportation to and from the island. A guide is provided by request for an additional $25.00. Group leaders may rent the boat for additional hours at $50.00 per extra hour. Prepayment must be paid in full. There is a non-refundable processing fee of $25.00.
Tips for Island Tours
- The walking trail on the island is a half mile long, therefore, we recommend that students wear comfortable close-toed shoes and bring bottled water.
- You may use the picnic tables and chemical toilets on the island. Plastic bags for trash are available at the picnic pavilion. Trash must be dumped in the trash cans stationed on the mainland on the museum grounds.
- Bring insect repellent, sun screen and hand sanitizer.
- Children 12 and younger are required to wear life jackets. These jackets are provided by the museum.
- For elementary school groups, please divide students/parents into groups of 24 or less before you arrive at the museum. For secondary school and adult groups, please have everyone divided onto groups of 18 people or less before you arrive at the Museum. The travel time from the museum pier to the island is approximately 10 minutes.
- To meet U.S. Coast Guard requirements, we must have the name, address and phone number of every individual riding the Water Taxi. Please have a list of these names for your tour guide on the day of your tour and it is recommended that individuals be listed by their designated group.
Piney Point Lighthouse Museum and Historic Park
Large group, student and bus tours welcome! Group tours must be arranged in advance with the site supervisor. Group tour rates for 20 or more is $3.50 per adult, $2 per student/senior citizen/military persons. To pre-arrange a tour, contact Site Supervisor Kenneth Burke at Kenneth.Burke@stmarysmd.com or 301-994-1471.
Drayden African American Schoolhouse
Pre-arranged tours can be made by calling the Piney Point Lighthouse Museum at 301-994-1471.
The St. Clement’s Island Museum and Piney Point Lighthouse Museum sites offer outdoor picnic facilities and restrooms for your convenience. Consider a riverside picnic at either location! Museum Stores at both sites will be available for all visiting groups.
Little Red School House
Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park
U-1105 Black Panther Historic Shipwreck Preserve
Drayden African American School House
The Old Jail Museum