Employee Status Updated: 12/10/2019 12:00 AM Normal
Office Status: Normal
Employee Information
Permits & Licensure Information

When you’re ready to start a business in St. Mary’s County, Maryland, you have a number of resources available for information on business licensing, registration, occupational licenses, and other regulatory and compliance issues.

St. Mary’s County Permit and Licensure Contacts

To obtain a St. Mary’s County Business License contact: Clerks of the Circuit Court Business Licenses 301-475-4567

For information about:

• Building Permit for Decks
• Building Permit for Mobile Homes
• Building Permit for Pools
• Building Permit in Critical Area
• Certificate of Use and Occupancy, Multi-Family Commercial, Industrial
• Certificate of Use and Occupancy, Residential
• Commercial and Industrial Building Permit
• Home Occupation Permit
• Residential Building Permit
• Sign Permit

 Department of Permits and Inspections
Contact: Harry Knight 301-475-4200 ext. *1560

Construction Permit for County Right-of-Way
Contact: Department of Public Works and Transportation
Rick Tarr (301) 475-4200 ext. *3540

Grading Permit
Contact: Department of Public Works and Transportation
Merrillynn Lawrence (301) 475-4200 ext. *3514

Road Construction and Inspection
Contact: Department of Public Works and Transportation
Willie Buckler (301) 475-4200 ext. *3531

Liquor License
Contact: Alcoholic Beverage Board
Tamara Hildebrand 301-475-7844 ext. *1600

The Business License Information System (BLIS)

BLIS is a web-based system that helps new and existing business owners determine the state licenses and permits that are needed to operate in Maryland. BLIS significantly reduces the time and money that small and mid-sized companies typically spend researching the legal requirements of business licenses by providing most of the necessary information. BLIS provides online access to many application

Business Registration and Licensing

The Department of Assessments and Taxation

DAT registers companies that do business in Maryland, issues business charters, registers trade names and provides information on other corporate matters.

The Taxpayers Assistance Program through the Maryland Comptroller’s Office
410-767-1300 or 800-492-1751

TAP provides businesses with information about sales, income and withholding taxes.

Licensing and regulatory services
dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/Pages/commercial.aspx (for fisheries)
dnr.maryland.gov/Wildlife/Pages/Licenses/home.aspx (wildlife & plants)

Licensing and regulatory services are provided for watermen taxidermists, waterfowl operations, fur dealers, charter boats, tree experts, foresters, forest products operators and fisheries

Licensing Agents Initiative
LAI authorizes businesses to sell various licenses issued by the Department of Natural Resources(i.e. hunting, fishing) to the public

Labor and Professional Licensing

The Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing

The Department of Labor Licensing & Regulation’s Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing is responsible for licensing and regulating the activities of more than 175,000 individuals, corporations and partnerships. Twenty-three occupations and professions require licensing by the respective Board.