Air Quality Alert issued June 21 at 4:35PM EDT until June 24 at 2:00AM EDT by NWS

Recreation & Parks - Museum Division

 
Black Panther Historic Shipwreck Preserve

On April 20, 1944, U-1105, a modified Type VII-C German submarine, built at the Nordseewerke Shipyard at Emden, Germany, was launched to begin its brief and dramatic wartime career.

Formally commissioned into the Kriegsmarine on June 3, 1944, U-1105 was one of fewer than ten submarines produced during the war outfitted with an experimental synthetic skin designed to counter Allied sonar devices. The submarine’s commander was a 25-year-old lieutenant named Hans-Joachim Schwarz.

In the spring of 1945, U-1105, nicknamed Black Panther for the black rubber coating, was deemed ready for its first and only patrol.

In March of 1945 the submarine sailed from Wilhelmshaven for Kiel. It took on provisions, fuel, and ammunition and torpedoes, and in early April sailed from Kiel to Norway to conduct final testing and crew training before setting out on patrol. From the south coast of Norway, U-1105 set a course for the west coast of Ireland, eluding Allied air patrols, sub chasers equipped with ASDIC, and at least one large English minefield along the way.

U-1105’s mission was to patrol along the Allied convoy routes in the vicinity of Black Rock, Ireland. On the morning of April 27, 1945, the sub detected a patrol of three British destroyers. At a range of 2000 meters the submarine fired two acoustic torpedoes then dove to 100 meters to escape a counterattack. The accuracy of the two torpedoes struck the HMS Redmill, a 1300 ton TE Captain Class frigate, disabling the stern and killing 32 men. The U-1105 managed to sink to a remarkable 570 feet and remained undetected by the Allied search that ensued.

image of U-1105 Diagram

Seven days later, Schwarz received word that the war was over. The U-1105 was ordered to an Allied base in northern Scotland where it surrendered. The British later turned the submarine over to the United States Navy for study and experimentation in the U.S.

After preliminary testing the U-1105 was fatally damaged on September 19, 1949 and was sunk in 90 feet of water in the Potomac River at Piney Point by a Navy Explosive Ordnance Disposal team.

In June of 1985, the U-1105 was “rediscovered” by a team of sports divers from Virginia. In 1992-93, with support from the St. Clement’s Island-Potomac River Museum, the Maryland Historical Trust, and Sea Colony Aqua Sports, the site became the subject of an archeological survey expedition. Supported by financial assistance from the Department of Defense Legacy Resource Management Program, and a cooperative agreement between the Navy and the State of Maryland, the wreck was designated as Maryland’s first historic shipwreck preserve in November 1994. The Preserve is intended to promote the preservation of historic shipwreck sites while making them accessible to the general public.

Diving Instructions:

For information and specifications regarding recreational diving on the U-1105, please contact the Maryland State Underwater Archaeologist at 410-514-7662 or the St. Clement’s Museum - 301-769-2222.

image of directional street sign   Directions:

From Baltimore/Washington, D.C.:

Take 495/95 to exit 7a (Route 5 south to Waldorf). Follow Route 5 south through Leonardtown to Callaway. Turn right on Route 249. Drive 9 miles to Piney Point making a right onto Lighthouse Road to the end.

From Virginia:

Take State Route 301 to 234 east to Leonardtown. Turn right on Route 5 South through Leonardtown to Callaway. Turn right on Route 249. Drive 9 miles to Piney Point making a right onto Lighthouse Road to the end.


We invite you to explore our sites and exciting opportunities by clicking on the links at the bottom. Please visit our sites and gift shops, enjoy our programs and special events, and discover our extensive research opportunities.

St. Clements Island Museum Piney Point Lighthouse Museum & Historic Park U-1105 Black Panther Historic Shipwreck Preserve Drayden African American School House
Little Red School House Guided Tours & Student Tours Water Taxi Tours Museum Stores
Research Center Volunteer Programs Calendar of Events Join the Friends
Finer Points Newsletter Annual Reports Links of Interest St. Mary's County Tourism
Recreation & Parks Contact Us Museums Homepage